Rockets

Rockets

Sunday 25 December 2011

The shoulder

I've frequently been the shoulder friends lean on in times of trouble.  Dunno why but helping someone, even if the situation is horrible, makes me feel better if I can.  For me talking about my problems makes it easier to face them so if I can be the vessel for others to think about it...  All the better.

So far I've talked two people down from contemplating suicide, talked to one person who had sliced his wrists while desperately contacting his family to take him to the hospital, talked to numerous friends about depression, a couple about relationships and a few about knowing when to admit you have a problem.  Other times, I've just been there to hug and comfort. 

I've cried on the shoulder of my sister and she has on mine.  We've had a very healthy relationship that way.  It was her who really got me to deal with my emotions instead of burying them.  I deal with my problems as directly as I can.  I'm not without my faults.  I'm procrastinating on facing a ticket I need to pay off, something I just know will bite me in the ass.  The point I'm trying to make is...

Actually I'm not sure anymore.  I like helping others and I tend to try and stick it alone.  When I do need a shoulder to lean on, they are always there.  That's why if I've been a shoulder for a friend once, I'm always willing to do it again.

This post was inspired by a conversation with a friend.

-Red

No comments:

Post a Comment